Photo Credit: Getty Images
COVID 19 Lockdown Relationship Rules
Hey people, how’s the social distancing going? I hope you’re all staying safe and have not lost your mind yet. Lol
Last week Sunday when we were anticipating (except my lazy bones) that the lockdown would be called off boom, we got another 14 days! Did you see those random memes on social media about married men who can’t wait to be with their side chicks? and the single ones lamenting how they wish they were given some time to ‘collect’ before the lockdown extension. You remember the saying, different strokes for different folks; apparently, some married folks, especially in my space are enjoying this lockdown, bonding with their family.
For “chronic singles” like me, can we be bothered? Yes and No! Yes because I can’t go out on dates, wear fancy clothes and makeup. You know the fun and the thrill of having a date with someone you’ve been talking to. Who knows, maybe something beautiful may bud- chai, cupid can be a coward when it chooses!
I’ve been working remotely since the imposed lockdown and man I can tell you how boring it can get being stuck at home especially when I can’t get to enjoy my personal time with my thoughts (I’m a daydreamer). Naturally, I would rather stay at home but you know how the human mind works when there’s a law. The natural tendency is to revolt!
Let me quickly share with you some of the relationship rules that would save you from heartbreak and also boost your love life this lockdown.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Relationship Don’ts During the COVID-19 Lockdown
- Don’t and I repeat don’t for the love of God think of buzzing that ex. There’s a reason that person is already an ex. Whether you’ve moved on or not, don’t try to stir up something that will only leave you shattered after the lockdown.
- Remember most people are bored this lockdown period. Don’t let your guards down when you make new connections online via social media.
- He/she ghosted you and is trying to start a conversation like nothing happened. Hol up? You’re someone’s prayer point. Why are they texting you or calling this period? Don’t allow the feeling of loneliness push you into the arms of a person that will make you miserable.
Relationship Do’s During the COVID-19 Lockdown
- Use this time to evaluate your relationship. What are those things you expect from your relationship? Are things going the way you want? Do you see the relationship heading where you want?
- Communicate a lot this period. Thanks to the lockdown, even the world’s busiest person still has some time to unwind. Use this time to talk about some unresolved issues. Make plans for post-COVID-19 because it will still come.
- Give your partner space. It is true that the social distancing has given us more time for ourselves doesn’t mean that your partner would want to be choked with constant texting and calls. This is also applicable for people in long-distance relationships.
- For the single ones like me, build meaningful relationships. Make friends first without getting your emotions involved. Hope you know emotions no get sense, so remember to always go with your head. But who says you can’t find love during this lockdown? My point is, don’t end up being played!
- Remember people connect with the opposite sex for different reasons. It’s important to go with the flow and if the friendship is tilting towards an angle you don’t understand, don’t hesitate to have define it.
- Declutter your space. I don’t mean your physical space- people who have added nothing to your life so far, toxic people and other forms of distractions. Recently I was scrolling through my contacts and couldn’t even remember some of them. I hit the delete button ASAP.
- Pray. No sane person wants to waste time with someone or a relationship without a direction. Don’t underestimate the power of prayer. You don’t have to kabash, well you can, the choice is yours. A simple prayer like God help me can save you the pain of ending up heartbroken.
While you may feel like this is the wrong time to be single, also remember that this is also the wrong time to be with the wrong person.
Cupid is on lockdown so I won’t mind getting some relationship tips in the comment section. Relationship people please share how you are holding up this period? Married folks, how has the lockdown been so far? Please comment in the blog so we’ll take it from there?
On a more serious note, many relationships have been put to test this period. Are you still your bae’s bae?